Sunday, May 6, 2012

Cool Air & "The Great Purge"


 
In my life this week…
  • Monday & Tuesday, we camped out at home because the HVAC guys were here.  They definitely came as a surprise; thus, I frantically threw on my robe to answer the door Monday morning.  Yikes!  I was better prepared for their arrival Tuesday :-)  When it was all said and done, we now have a brand new furnace and air conditioner.  Hooray!!!!  With temps in the 80's, we have definitely enjoyed the COOL AIR! 
  • Friday evening, we enjoyed an outdoor flick.  We watched "CHIPWRECKED" projected on our friends house.  The kids had the best time.
  • Saturday, we began a project... "The Great Purge."  Phase 1 took place in the boys' room.  We managed to clear out under the bed and two shelves.  The boys didn't whine or fuss about passing on the toys they no longer play with to others who could enjoy them.  The hours spent cleaning this area alone greatly increased the inventory at our local Goodwill.  We still have one shelf and the closet to tackle.  Then, Mommy needs to work on organizing their clothes.  We're hoping to complete Phase 1 by Tuesday.
In our homeschool this week…
  • Caleb completed 1st Grade Math - Hooray!  Very proud of him!
  • The kids enjoyed a field trip with our DRASTIC Co-op.  We headed to The Curious Edge to participate in a Club Scientific Bluegrass educational program.  My three were super excited to join their buddies for some really neat experiences including experiments, the dissection of a pig's heart, dissecting crayfish in pairs, and they each got to investigate their own owl pellet.  They were so excited to share their "finds" and tell us all about the things they did.


Helpful homeschooling tips or advice to share…
  • Now is the time of year to check the online classifieds, forums, and blogs for used curriculum.  Many are wrapping up their school years and most are looking ahead towards next year.  You just might snag some really great deals!
I am inspired by…
  • Friends who are parenting a beautiful blessing with a life-limiting illness.  Praying God's strength for this sweet family.
Places we’re going and people we’re seeing…
  • Monday - Life Group
  • Thursday - Zoo Trip with friends
  • Saturday - Scrapbooking in the a.m. & visiting my family in the p.m.
  • One day this week, our kitten needs to have shots, but not sure when that will fit in.
Questions/thoughts I have…
  • To school or not to school through the summer... that is the question!  ?????  I'm leaning towards a very relaxed, flexible school schedule for the summer.  A couple of my kiddos have some catching up still to do, and all 3 have their particular trouble spots that could stand some more practice.  I'm thinking of pulling out Math Mammoth 1 for some review with Caleb & Jeremiah (since he will finish Horizons Math 1 at the end of May).  I'd like to continue on with All About Reading and WriteShop.  Aside from that, I'll probably just utilize some of the online programs we have and are currently reviewing.  Miss Rachel will continue working hard on phonics.  Our school schedule won't be stringent in the summer months... more of a refresher/maintenance program that will always be put on hold whenever the opportunity arises to take off for outings and playdates.  When we do take long breaks, it is soooo hard to get back in the swing of things.  I'm hoping this will help us in the fall.  Plus, as far as actual school days, we lose a week in the fall for vacation, and I like to take at least a week if not two at Christmas.  Again, working through the summer, will allow us some padding. 
Things I’m working on…
  • "The Great Purge" - Jon & I both feel the need to declutter, simplify, organize, and take on more of a minimalist mentality.  We have done little bits here and there, but we are motivated to work our way from one end of the house to the other, top to bottom.  Off to a good start this weekend!
I’m reading…
  • Quitter by Jon Acuff
  • The Five Love Languages of Children by Gary D. Chapman & Ross Campbell
  • Stumbling Into Grace: Confessions of a Sometimes Spiritually Clumsy Woman by Lisa Harper
I’m cooking…
  • I made a couple family favorites this week... Chicken Cheesy Rice Casserole and a Cavitini.  Then, I tried something new... baked zucchini and squash chips.  They turned out pretty good and even the kids agreed they were tasty!  I plan to give those another whirl this week.
I’m grateful for…
  • time to work and play together as a family!
I’m praying for…
  • discernment, peace, and clarity for decisions to be made.
  • good news!
Photos to share...
  • The kids enjoying the outdoor flick!




A quote to share…
  • Summit VIII was held in California this year, so I was unable to go.  However, I was thrilled that for the first time ever some of the plenary sessions and a few breakout sessions were available for live viewing through webstreaming.  I was able to listen in on Rick & Kay Warren and Dr. Russell Moore.  One of the many quotes I took away....
"We don't ever move away from the gospel. The living out of it continually draws us back to it." ~ Dr. Russell Moore

  • By the way, I'm super excited that the Christian Alliance for Orphans Summit 9 will be much closer to home next year.  I'm planning now to attend!  May 2-3, 2013 in Nashville, TN!

No comments: